Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Last Hurrah

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination. -Oscar Wilde

Dead woman walking.

Knowing that these are my last days of freedom, and lucky for this New York girl it is also SALE time, I decide I deserved one final performance! So when I got a postcard in the mail that one of my favorite Brooklyn boutiques, Bird, was having their bi-annual sale beginning January 29th, I saw this as an sign. So yesterday after work I headed over to Bird for those last smells, the last feelings of beautiful new fabric between my fingers, the final site of a store perfectly curated with beautiful pieces of art.

So here's what I took to the dressing room: a super soft cotton gray "sack" dress, a silk black and gray geometric print shift, and a classic pair of black Thakoon light weight wool trousers marked down from $700+ to $175 (as a side note, my BF thinks it is ridiculous when I site what the original price of an item was and then the sale price - I just chalk this up to the usual ridiculous male behavior and their utter lack of understanding of the importance of a good bargain on a quality item). The gray dress looked wretched and showed every lump and bump (and I am not talking about the good ones). Now I have a theory on really great black pants...you can never have enough, and when you find a great pair it is your duty to buy them. Clearly this thought process is one of many that has gotten me into this mess in the first place. These were really great black pants and even better, they were more than long enough for my lanky Olive Oyl-esque frame. I tried them on 3 times but in the end regretfully declined in favor of the mod little silk shift dress and some fun accessories that will hopefully assist in diversifying my wardrobe over the next 11 months.

My total bill you might ask?? $175 - which I thought was pretty damn good considering this was my "swan song" as my friend R put it.

So tonight my BF is taking me to dinner for my birthday and I will wear my dress and relish for the last time in the exhilarating feeling that comes the first time you wear a new garment. Then I will spend the next 11 months trying to figure out what else causes me to achieve the same euphoric feeling for free!

Check out my "swan song" purchase:
www.shopbird.com/product.php?productid=19099&cat=319&manufacturerid=&page=4

2 comments:

  1. All I can say is THANK GOD I was not with you said sale, I would be done in one swoop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see pics of the dress! xoxo

    ReplyDelete